ResearchBook.co is world’s first platform which provides information on risk factors, research gaps and preventive measures in the simplest possible way. The information provided on the portal is 100% scientifically proven and provided with proper references. It provides key information on important disease areas which includes cancer, cardiovascular disease, metabolic disorders, eye disease, gastrointestinal problems, and psychiatric disease.
- According to latest research, intake of fresh fish oil by overweight pregnant rats prevented their offspring from developing a major diabetes risk factor, University of Auckland researchers. Pregnant rats were given either a high-fat diet to make them overweight, or a standard diet, and half from each group were also given fresh fish oil.
- Sickle cell disease (SCD) is a group of inherited red blood cell disorders. People with SCD have abnormal hemoglobin, called hemoglobin S or sickle hemoglobin, in their red blood cells. Babies are born with sickle cell disease when they inherit two abnormal genes (one from each parent). Hemoglobin is a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen throughout the body.
Epidemiology and burden of Sickle Cell Anemia
- SCD affects approximately 100,000 Americans. (https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/data.html)
- Estimates suggest that 250,000 children are born annually with sickle cell anemia worldwide (Rev Bras Hematol Hemoter. 2011; 33(1): 49–54.)
- In England, sickle cell disease affects more than 1 in 2000 live births.In the US, 4000 to 5000 pregnancies are at risk for sickle cell disease each year. (http://bestpractice.bmj.com/best-practice/monograph/100/basics/epidemiology.html)
- There is evidence to suggest that hydroxyurea is effective in decreasing the frequency of pain episodes and other acute complications in adults and children with sickle cell anaemia. (Cochrane Database Syst Rev.2017 Apr 20;4)
- 10-valent Pneumococcal Nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae Protein D Conjugate Vaccine (PHiD-CV) is immunogenic with an acceptable safety profile in children with and without SCD starting vaccination at 8 weeks to 23 months of age. (Pediatr Infect Dis J.2017 May;36(5):e136-e150)
- SCA is correlated with anterior tooth loss (RR = 1.94), anterior spacing (RR = 1.66), overjet (RR = 1.87), anterior crossbite (RR = 1.94), and open bite (RR = 1.94). Thus, SCA is a risk factor for moderate and very severe MO. (Braz Oral Res.2015;29)
- Sickle cell trait is a significant risk factor for secondary hemorrhage, increased intraocular pressure, and permanent visual impairment in children who have traumatic hyphemas following blunt trauma. (Am J Ophthalmol.1997 Jun;123(6):783-90)
- Fatigue and anemia, painful episodes called pain cries which can last for weeks
- Dactylitis (swelling/inflammation of the hands/feet) and Arthritis
- Severe tiredness and short of breath
- Splenic Sequestration (sudden pooling of blood in the spleen) and Liver Congestion
- Leg Ulcers, eye damage, high risk of serious infections
- Aseptic Necrosisand Bone Infarcts (death of portions of bone)
- Meta-analysis of 2040 sickle cell anemia patients: BCL11A and HBS1L-MYB are the major modifiers of HbF in African Americans.more..
- Neurological complications of sickle cell disease in Africa: protocol for a systematic review.more..
- Jaundice in neonates with sickle cell disease. A case-control study.more..
- Depression in children and adolescents with sickle-cell disease.more..
- Adults with sickle cell disease may perform cognitive tests as well as controls.more..